Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Games in education? Sure!

I was lucky to be at the Games in Education conference this past August in Schenectady NY. I had the opportunity of learning form teachers and curriculum designers about introducing games as a vital part school programs. I also enjoyed my fist earthquake while we were in the auditorium…. not fun.
Here, with this post, I want to share with you this new way of thinking about video games, you can check out the skills that your students could develop by using them, and maybe start thinking differently about these learning platforms… I know, I know what you are thinking… what about addiction, violence, and sexism…?
My advice for the worried ones: first of all, look at the games, they are not necessary violent, they can look as innocent as a webquest through an imaginary world, or a mystery that needs to be solved. Really, we should overcome our prejudices, and I agree here with you that the media and advertisement industry is not really helping! But trust me, there are such a products with all the bonuses and none of the dangers, it is just a matter of really looking for them and spend time browsing what is out there.
Maybe this link will help you get started!
An secondly, just don´t be afraid of trying new ways of using technology.. it might be a little bit stressful at the beginning, both you and your students will need to get use to the new activity, new settings, ways of assessing etc, but it will be worth it at the end… and you can become your school savvy-techy teacher.. How cool is that!

1 comment:

Jordi Ginjaume said...

Great article! Agree 100%.