Thursday, September 15, 2011

Being digitally wise

Today I would like to recommend a book: Deconstructing Digital Natives, (2011). The overall idea of the book states that the quote that identifies our students as “ digital natives” and us being “digital immigrants” is not so accurate anymore, now there is a better term. (I never though about myself as a digital immigrant really…)
Mack Prensky introduced the term Digital Natives back in 2001 and now has reconsidered the idea and suggested a new one: Homo Sapiens Digital. Our students should be digitally wise, meaning that ideally they should master skills related with:
1. Knowledge building (online, F2F, blended communication)
2. Remixing information to create new knowledge
3. Be aware of how they learn better (I think this is the most challenging one)
4. Accept differences within their own community…
And I could go on and on.. this is an endless list really. In general, I like the idea, although I don´t think that it is something really new, don´t we teachers try to do this all the time?... Think about it…

No comments: