Thursday, September 20, 2012

Social and cultural capital

Have you ever thought about your social capital? It is something that I have been thinking about lately, and its definition could be something like:

           "Social resources based on social relationships that one can draw upon to facilitate action and to achieve goals" (Coleman, 1990 p.302)

Great idea! And someone was already thinking about it in 1990, quite a visionary I should say. Nowadays that everybody is connected to friends, coworkers and acquaintances through Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and even Bananity (check it out if you are not familiar! idea d'un català!) should´t we have a network of "significant ones" not in a relationship type of significancy but in a way that connects us with people that complement our knowledge in some sort of way?

Lets say that I have learned a lot from a coworker or a former employer in any special way, because of his/her management skills, sense of humor, resources, creativity etc., and lets say that because of this interaction I am a better person/professional that I was before, then I should highlight this special connection in my little and very personal web of knowledge don´t you think?

Therefore, this is a formal and very serious proposal to anyone out there up to the challenge of helping me to crate a meaningful social new web aimed to highlight our own personal Yodas, (I already have a few in mind!).


No comments: